Power

Waste to Energy in North America: the U.S. to dominate the market by 2025

waste-to-energy-in-north-america-energy-capital-media

The Waste to Energy (WTE) Market in North America is expected to grow at more than 7.5% by 2025. New research conducted by the Ameliorate Solutions Group Company shows the United States will dominate the regional WTE Market in the same period.  

The Global North America Waste to Energy Market Research Report 2020-2025 finds the region’s biomass market is growing at a slow pace. Experts observe this trend comes from a decreasing availability of landfill space in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

However, the report also finds the region is shifting toward the development of renewable technologies. This situation could represent an immense opportunity for potential clean energy growth soon. Thermal based waste energy conversion is likely to be the most used resource for biomass electricity.

The U.S. is at the forefront

According to the study, in 2019, there were 86 biomass facilities in the country, providing 2,700 MW of clean electricity. This amount of energy is enough to power 2 million homes daily.

Researchers found that in 2018, 68 power plants in the U.S. generated about 14 billion kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity. For this capacity, plants burned 29.5 million tons of MSW fuel.

MSW combustibles are conformed by about 64% of biomass materials; the other 36% accounts for plastics or non-biomass fuels. In that regard, solid waste sources burned at unique waste-to-energy plants accounted for about 51% of the electricity generated in those facilities.

In the report, the group added methane gas produced from decomposing large quantities of biomass, also generated considerable amounts of electricity in the U.S.

The U.S. has presented positive WTE results mainly because of the introduction of active government initiatives, the study adds. The country is regionally and globally at the forefront.

To continue that upbeat pace, researchers recommend the U.S. government look after suitable policies and regulations concerning WTE. They also observe the country will need a higher capital investment for the waste or biomass to the energy market to grow.

Thermal based waste energy conversion: to have the largest market share

Since 2019, thermal technology for WTE conversion was expected to account for the largest market share in the North American market.

The increasing development of incineration and gasification technologies will help this trend continue.  

In that regard, incineration is currently the most-well-known WTE technology for municipal solid waste processing. This trend derives from its low cost-effectiveness.

Possibly of your interest: EDF Renewables and Geenex Solar close deal to boost PJM with 4.5GW

Nevertheless, incineration still poses considerable environmental, pollution, and health safety risks for users.

Companies are increasingly adopting new incineration and gasification technologies to reduce their gas-phase emissions.

For instance, some industries are using Dendro Liquid Energy (DLE), which, according to the study, is four times more efficient for electricity generation and less harmful to emission discharges.

Top companies:

A few companies mentioned by the group in the report due to their relevance for the WTE market were: Covanta, Holding Group, Waste Management Inc., Suez SA, Martin GmbH, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, Veolia Environnement SA, Babcock & Wilcox Volund AS, and Wheelabrator Technologies Inc., among others.

The report includes a market overview and segmentation analyses for demand, consumption, technology, geography, competitive landscape, and research methodology for the waste to energy market in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico.

Related posts

Wildlife habitat conservation, the target of Apex Energy for Illinois

editor

Canada invests in geothermal exploration for Yukon

editor

LG Energy Solution equips Moss Landing Storage Facility with TR1300

editor

Leave a Comment