Upstream

Bp announces first oil and gas from Thunder Horse project in the GoM

bp Thunder Horse South Expansion Phase 2

Bp, the British major oil company, announced this Week it successfully and safely reached first oil and gas from a start-up project in the Gulf of Mexico. The project is the Thunder Horse South Expansion Phase 2. The development will increase substantially in one of the largest fields in the region.

Firstly, the company anticipates that peak production from the Thunder Horse project will reach 25,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day from the initial two wells. A total of eight well will complete the development of the project.

In addition, according to the statement, the phase 2 expansion is part of bp’s plans to grow its Gulf of Mexico oil and gas production to around 400,000 barrels of oil equivalent a day net by the mid-2020s.

In fact, Thunder Horse is the company’s most significant production and drilling platform in the Gulf. It is located 150 miles southeast of New Orleans. Moreover, the project has a design that allows it to process up to 250,000 barrels of oil, and 200 million cubic feet of natural gas per day.

Furthermore, bp has a 75% working interest, while ExxonMobil has the remaining 25 percent. Moreover, the initial well from the Thunder Horse field was drilled back in 1999 to a depth of 25,770 feet, and encountered around 520 feet net of pay in three intervals, according to S&P. Consequently, it is indeed one of bp’s most significant discoveries to date.

Also recommended for you: Natel Energy to add 80 MW of hydropower to Louisiana’s Red River. Click here to read.

Bp with a special focus on Thunder Horse asset

Thereafter, around 2008, the field started production. The original plan for the area was to start producing oil and gas in 2005. However, the production platform was severely damaged by Hurricane Dennis, in July, 2005.

On the other hand, South Expansion Phase 2 locates particularly at Mississippi Canyon Block 822, southeast of the original Thunder Horse field at MC 778. The phase 1 expansion came online in 2017, bringing an additional gross 50,000 boe/d of production at the field.

Additionally, to the South expansion phases, back in 2001, the company discovered another area, called Thunder Horse North. Such area reached first oil and gas back in 2018, with peak annual average gross production around 30,000 boed.

Therefore, the area has a particular value for the company. About such matter, Ewan Drummond, bp senior vice president, projects, production and operations said. “This is another significant milestone for bp, completing the delivery of our planned major projects for 2021.”

Finally, he commented. “I am extremely proud of the entire team and their commitment to the safe start-up of Thunder Horse South Expansion Phase 2. This project is a great example of the type of fast-payback, high-return tie-back opportunities we continue to deliver as we focus and high-grade our portfolio.”

Related posts

Former U.S. Officials warned of ‘Significant Uncertainty’ in Mexico Energy Sector

editor

Cathedral Energy Closes Acquisition of Valiant Energy’s Assets

editor

Murphy Oil to not sell Malaysian asset; advances operations in GoM

editor